Gabe has been really good. At night he sleeps best when I hold him, so we spend a lot of quality time together in the recliner. If I hold him, he's only up a couple of times to eat. He's spent a few nights in the cradle, but it's harder for me to sleep. He doesn't sleep soundly and I'm constantly putting the pacifier back in his mouth. During the day I've been trying to acclimate him to the cradle, so hopefully eventually I'll be able to sleep in my bed again.
Tyler really loves Gabe. He loves to give him kisses. He used to kiss my belly a lot too. He's a wild child, but such a sweetheart.
Here he is at 5 days old. It's my attempt to have some really cute pictures while using my very basic point and shoot digital camera. A couple of them turned out pretty good.
Here's his first picture with the caterpillar. Yesterday I took the second one. It's hard to believe he's already a month old.
The sixth graders made rockets to launch. They had a bunch of different ones you could choose from. Brady chose one of the bigger ones. They launched them on the 14th of September.
I left Gabe with Lance's mom and brought Tyler and Isaac with me. I knew Tyler would like it. I thought about leaving Isaac, but he doesn't always like to be left by himself, so I decided to take him with me. He didn't enjoy it near as much as Tyler and I.
They had 12 rockets set up at a time and would count down each one. Isaac pretty much hated it. He couldn't get close enough to me. Ever since we had some pretty loud thunderstorms about 6 weeks ago, he's been really sensitive to loud sounds or sounds he can't identify (things like the girls knocking on the wall that seperates their bedrooms). The trains and airplanes were even freaking him out even though he could see them and he knew what they were. He's gradually gotten better, but he didn't like the rockets at all. According to Brady his rocket went about 900 feet. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that high, but I'm no good at measuring distances with my eyes, so we'll just say he's right.
Gabe's only a week old in this picture. The little newborn pillow thing hardly fits so I took it out.
If you look really close, you can see that this little shirt says "Zoom Zoom" on it. I'm pretty sure I got it before Tyler was born. It goes with the shirt he came home from the hospital in. It also says "Zoom Zoom" but it's harder to see. He's Zoom Zoom after all.
Here's one with his eyes open finally.
The school had an outdoor movie night. It was the Lorax. I left Gabe with my mom and took my kids and a couple of cousins. We had a great time, well, they did. This year we only went to the bathroom twice. Last year I'm pretty sure we went four times.
Isaac had fun playing football with Brady. I probably should have wiped his mouth before we left the house. The kids were having fun putting food coloring in invisible Kool-Aid so they could all have the color they wanted. After they were done, Isaac found his way to all of their leftover drinks. It was all over his shirt too, but the jacket hides that.
I love this picture. It looks like Isaac is really letting Brady have it. Brady hardly watched the movie. He was off playing football or throwing around the glow in the dark bracelets. He had fun, that's all that matters.
Here's Gabe at three weeks old. I was having issues with getting my shadow in the picture.
Mia didn't want to be left out.
And Isaac was having fun jumping on the bed too.
(Warning, not for those with weak stomachs. Lots of talk about throw up coming up!)
Some days it feels like my life is an episode of Dirty Jobs. We had three kids get sick in the past week. It started with Tyler. Tuesday night I was coming upstairs to put Isaac to bed. Tyler had already been asleep for about half an hour. That night he wanted to sleep on the floor. I'm such a cool, I don't care where you sleep, just sleep, mom, so I let him. As I came up the stairs, I heard Tyler crying and went in his room to find him, his pillow and the floor covered in throw up. There was chunks of his breakfast, his treat from Wal-Mart, his lunch and dinner. Tasty, I know. He was very upset and pretty out of it too. As soon as I got him showered and re-dressed, he was asleep again while I finished cleaning up the rest of the mess. The next morning he was fine and I hoped nobody else would get it. Unfortunately, that was not to be. Thursday night Mia came in asking for Lance. He usually gets to deal with her at night. It used to be because when she'd wake up screaming inconsolably from either an ear infection or growing pains, I couldn't take it. After taking care of kids all day, my patience is very thin in the middle of the night. Anyway, now she just goes straight to him. She said she felt like she was going to throw up so we sent her to the bathroom where she proceeded to throw up, a lot. Fortunately, she made it to the toilet. He gave her a bowl and tucked her back in bed when she was done. Later, she crawled into bed with me after Lance got up. She was ok for a while, then said she felt sick again. So she went and threw up again. After that she fell asleep for a little while. I went in her room to look for the bowl Lance had given her and was oh so happy to find it filled with throw up. Lucky me. Better in the bowl than all over the bed though.
She threw up one more time and didn't eat for quite a while, then was ok. By Sunday I thought we were over it. Nobody else had gotten sick. Monday morning Chloe told me she'd thrown up that night. She didn't even wake anyone up. She's usually pretty out of it when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Sometimes when she wakes up to go to the bathroom we can hear her walking around in her room trying to figure out what she's doing. One time she came out into the hall and opened the closet door before I got her turned in the right direction. Anyway, she stayed home all day. She didn't throw up anymore, so I let her have dinner. I regretted that later. I went downstairs to tell her it was time to start reading. She said she felt like throwing up, and because she'd been fine all day, I told her she could still read even if she felt like she was going to throw up. I'm such a nice mom. Then she threw up all over the couch and floor and some on Isaac. Isaac was very upset. As soon as it got on him, he screamed and ran towards me, which was good since he would have gotten more on him if he'd just stayed there. She kept throwing up too. It was gross. This time I got to clean up Isaac, the floor, the blankets she'd managed to hit, the couch and her. I wasn't sure I was going to make it through all of that without being sick myself. It's a good thing I'm not pregnant anymore. I may have lost it if I had been. That was the last of the throw up thank goodness. She stayed home from school another day, so hopefully we didn't infect anyone else.
In the midst of all the throw up we managed to take a hike up Battle Creek trail to see a waterfall. I've been looking for an easy hike I could do with my kids. I had to put that on the back burner for a while after my back was hurting. Then my friend, Cathy, posted on her blog about their hike up this trail and I knew it would be one we could attempt too! It's a nice, fairly short hike. Most of it is a wide trail with a slow incline. At the waterfall, it's pretty steep, but we managed ok. When we got to this point, my kids were a little disappointed. They thought this was the waterfall. It's not.
They still had fun throwing rocks in and getting as close to the water as possible without actually falling in as they could.
This picture is on the trail about midway up the waterfall. We didn't go to the top. Instead we went down to the base of the waterfall. I took several pictures trying to get everyone to look all at once. It didn't happen. This is as best as I got. I had Gabe in a front carrier and he just slept the whole time. There was no way I was taking him out just for a picture.
This is down by the waterfall. It's fuzzy because I was trying to take it as fast as possible. Isaac would hardly let go of my hand. He wasn't too fond of the waterfall since it was noisy so he just sat here.
The other kids were not so afraid. Brady was trying to climb all over. If it was just Brady, it would have been fine, but then everyone else wants to do what Brady does.
There was lots of good places to take pictures.
It's hard to tell since it's so shady, but Brady is covered in red Kool-Aid. He had the Camelbak. The mouth piece came off and he ended up with it all over.
On the way down, we passed by a lady on the ground obviously in some sort of medical distress. As we passed her, the medical teams were just getting to her. My kids thought that was pretty cool.
Tyler fell twice. The first time we were on that path you can see in the above picture. The second was on the way down as I was saying, "Slow down or you're going to fall." He cried for quite a while. Then some horses came by which helped distract him for a few minutes. He had to have a bandaid as soon as we got to the car. He goes through a lot of bandaids.
Overall it was a good hike. Mia complained that her stomach hurt most of the way but she managed to have fun too. Isaac followed as exactly in Tyler's footsteps as he could. If Tyler picked up a rock and threw it, so did he. If Tyler climbed up the side, so did he. He's pretty much Tyler's shadow lately.
The picture on the right is Gabe's 1 month caterpillar picture. He looks a little longer, but not too much fatter. I guess that's what happens when you start out pretty chubby.
Here's Chloe watching him while I made cookies Sunday morning.
And here he is 1 month old. He's getting his baby acne. So far it's not too bad. I hope it doesn't get too much worse.
I was looking through pictures of Isaac yesterday and was amazed at how much Gabe looks like him. There's some pictures that you can hardly tell it's a different baby. Gabe definitely has a different nose, and Isaac had longer hair, but other than that they are quite similar! For example, Isaac is on the left and Gabe's on the right.

No comments:
Post a Comment