November 10, 2011

Five years

Today, it's been five years since my dad died.  Most days I'm fine.  I don't have too much time to sit down and think about it, or maybe I choose not to so I don't have to feel the pain.  I don't like to cry, and that's generally what happens when I think about it.  Some days I really miss him.  I just want to call him on the phone and ask him a question or hear one of his cheesy jokes.  It's weird what triggers the tears.  Weird foods, driving, even restroom walls.  He was very fond of telling me he was going to start putting my number on restroom walls so I could get some dates.  He even had some guy call me up and ask me out, telling me he found my number on a restroom wall.  Of course, as soon as I heard that, I knew he was up to something.  Somehow he'd gotten a hold of a friend of my sister's roommate.  I don't remember the guy at all, just that my dad cared enough to set me up on a date with a strange guy he'd never met.  I bet you don't cry in the bathroom at random times.  In memory of him, here's a few pictures of his favorite things in life.

He loved nice cars,


hunting,


fishing,


my mom,


and his family.


Can you believe there's three kids in our family not even in that picture?  And I'm pretty sure I'm standing on something,  (I'm next to my mom, with the nice boy hair cut.) since my older brother is on my left.  I wasn't taller than him until I was at least 13. 

2 comments:

Nichole said...

okay i teared up. i miss mike too... i had chips and dip the other day and wyatt started talking about papa, i lost it.......his jokes were always ones you just shook your head and laughed at. your dad was a great man and i am so thankful to have known him and to be part of your family. love you

Rachel said...

You got me too. I thought I would be fine today until I read this and realized how much I missed dad. I laugh when my kids do something and can only think what a kick dad would get out of that. Why can't we all die at the same time?