I was ironing a pair of Lance's pants upstairs (which I rarely do since I hate ironing) when someone came to the door. I closed the door and hurried downstairs. It was my Girl Scouts cookie order (two boxes of Samoas, my favorite, and not just because I spent three months there one summer, and two boxes of Tagalongs. Yum! I was really good and actually shared the cookies with my kids, as much as I didn't want to.) When I was done with that, dinner was ready. I got busy with all the serving and cleaning of everything that goes with that and totally forgot about the iron. Tyler "finished" his dinner. (He never really eats it. I'm not sure what his deal is. He'd rather eat bananas, apples or yogurt, which isn't so bad, so I let him more than I should.) He went upstairs in my room and put his hand on the iron. (I'm pretty sure my iron has an auto-off feature, but I guess it hadn't been long enough. It was at least 30 minutes though.) I put it in some cool water and gave him some ibuprofen. He kept it in for a while, then he'd take it out. Of course it would feel better for a few minutes, then start hurting again. And he start crying, "Ow, ow, owwww" until he got it back into the water.
I wasn't going to take him in to the doctor. He had three blisters at the base of his fingers so it wasn't too bad. I checked online and they recommend going in if it's on a hand or foot. So I called a nurse at our Dr.'s office. She said I should bring him in simply for the fact they have some special cream they put on that takes the heat out so it stops hurting. I loaded everyone up and headed for the Dr.'s. Fortunately, they have an after-hours clinic.
My other children were being oh-so-helpful with their comments and stories. Mia kept asking me if he was going to get a shot. Then she told him over and over he wasn't getting a shot. I'm not sure if she didn't believe me, but she also kept asking me over and over if he was getting one. Brady told about the time his friend burned his hand which involved an exhaust pipe falling off of a tractor. Tyler somehow misinterperted that to be his hand fell off. He kept telling us, "They're not going to cut my hand off though, right?" Between the constant reminder of the possibility of a shot and the idea of his hand being cut off, he wasn't too thrilled about going to the doctor.
Tyler was feeling pretty good when we left, but by about halfway, he was screaming and kicking in pain. I felt pretty bad for him. The doctor looked at it and said it was a mild 2nd degree burn, which I knew already. They put the magic cream on it, wrapped it up and sent us on our way. They let him choose what color wrap he wanted. He chose blue. (That's his favorite color now. It was purple for a while. There's a story about that I need to share at some point.) They gave us the rest of the roll to use to rewrap it for the next couple of days. On the way home, and several times after that, Tyler said, "Wouldn't it be funny if a girl burns her hand, and she wants blue, and it will be all gone!"
And here's Chloe's spilled Trix. This was the fourth spilling event in 48 hours. She and Mia had pillows and blankets on their stools because they didn't get the "big" stools.
This pictures shows the mess a little better, but it's blurry. My camera doesn't like to take pictures in focus inside unless the flash is on even when there's obviously enough light. Irritating. I'm not sure why they're the one's who were crying. I'm the one who got to clean it all up. I hate cleaning spilled milk. It goes everywhere and you have rinse it over and over so it doesn't leave a film all over the floor. I'm just glad we don't have carpet. Our first house had cream carpet in the dining room and I hated it. Fortunately, we only had one child then.
This little boy didn't spill his cereal. Instead he was enjoying a banana muffin with chocolate chips in it. He loves those. He had about 6 muffins in a 2 hour period. It's the only food he literally begs for. He stands at the edge of the counter with his hand up as far as he can reach saying, "uh, uh, uhhhh." It's funny from him because he's usually so incredibly laid back. He'll sit in his high chair at meal times and make no noise at all, even when he's usually the last one to get food since everyone else is sure to let me know what they want and don't want. He just sits there as patient as can be until I can get him his food. It's adorable. Although, it's mostly just him who's just plain adorable.
No comments:
Post a Comment