March 26, 2012

More spilled milk, and lots of Tyler

Colin decided to join the cereal spilling fun.  It was so great.  He spilled it, then just sat there and watched it continue to spill out of his bowl instead of moving his hand to stop the cereal from spilling.  So fun.


You'd think I'd get smart and start making pancakes or eggs for breakfast.  But I haven't.  You can kind of tell from the above picture, but we got some new stools.  These ones are "giant"ones.  Eve's boyfriend moved and so kindly gave these to us.  Now they don't fight over the "big" stools, they fight over the "giant" ones.  And speaking of Chris, he totally ditched us for dinner yesterday.  I made dinner, cleaned the house and he went golfing instead.  It's not like he doesn't golf every day already.  (He's a golf coach.)  I may not be thinking so highly of him now . . .


I have lots to say about Tyler, but I have to tell a few stories about Brady first.  He's a funny kid.  The other day, he came upstairs wearing black shorts.  On the back, it looked like he had brushed up against some dust.  When I told him he had something on the back of his shorts, he kind of smiled strangely and "tried" to wipe it off.  It didn't come off, so I tried.  Instead of it feeling dusty, it felt greasy.  Then I noticed the streaking was all about the same width and realized what it was when I could smell my fingers.  It was deodorant.  I asked him why he had deodorant on the back of his shorts and told him to go change.  He didn't answer or change.  I told him everyone at school was going to laugh at him.  He didn't care.  He proudly went to school with his deodorant shorts.  It was still on there and visible when he got home from school too.  He said nobody even asked him about it.  Weird.

A couple of months ago before school, I was upstairs and Brady was downstairs with Isaac.  He was just watching him and very spontaneously said to nobody, "I just love this age.  It's so fun."  It was adorable. 

He's taken Isaac outside a couple of times the last couple of days.  Isaac doesn't wander like Tyler did.  He's happy if he can chase a few balls around.  Our neighbors have a couple of dogs.  Isaac loves animals.  Brady has taken Isaac over there a couple of times to pet the dogs when they're outside.

One day we were outside when the kids came home from school.  (I've been letting them walk home more, especially if Isaac is taking a nap.  Brady takes his responsibility to get the three younger kids home safely very seriously.  If they don't stay by him or listen to him, he takes them by the hand or hands and doesn't let go until they get home.  Of course, this usually means the younger child comes home screaming.  Brady's funny because he gets so frustrated and he tells me he tries very hard not to get too mad at them.  He just holds their hand/wrist very tightly all the way home.  I've told the younger kids several times they need to listen to Brady and stay by him.  Apparently, they'd rather learn the hard way.)  Anyway, on this day everyone walked home cooperatively.  As soon as Isaac saw them coming, he ran to them.  When he got to Brady, Brady scooped him up and gave him a hug and carried him back to me.  It was one of those moments that make being a mom worth it. 

And now Tyler.  In my last post I promised you a story about his previous favorite color, purple.  One day he was downstairs playing with Colin.  Somehow, Tyler hit his cheek on some part of the stairs or wall and it left a pretty big bump.  Tyler hates to have anyone look at his bumps and scrapes, but eventually he took his hand off and asked Colin if it was bleeding.  Colin told him, "No, but it's purple!"  And Tyler very calmly replied, "That's ok.  Purple's my favorite color."  Then went on playing like nothing happened. 

The bathroom downstairs smelled very strongly like pee.  I cleaned the toilet, all around the toilet, took out the garbage and it still smelled like pee.  I turned to the shower and I had a flashback to a couple days before.  Tyler and his cousin Andrew had been playing in the shower.  I was upstairs and heard them, so I told them to get out.  At that moment I knew what they had been doing.  I opened the shower to find a nice yellow ring all around the drain of the shower.  It was quite disgusting.  Fortunately, after I got that cleaned up, it no longer smelled like pee. 

And while we're on the subject of pee, one day Mia came running down the stairs yelling, "Mom!  Tyler, Andrew and Colin are peeing in the same toilet at the same time!" 

Another day, I was sitting in the living room and Tyler and Andrew came from upstairs where they had to pass a bathroom and opened the front door.  I didn't pay too much attention to them until everyone outside started yelling, "Tyler!"  He was peeing on the mat in front of the door.  Don't ask me why.  He just looked at me like it was the most normal thing to do and he couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. 

He's a little obsessed with the fact that he has a "weiner."  (When Brady was little he knew all of the correct terminology about male and female anatomy.  He never obsessed or talked about it that much, some of my other kids have been a little more vocal about their knowledge, hence my recluctance to focus too much on the correct terminology.  Somehow weiner sounds better than the alternative coming out of a 3 year olds mouth.  Brady was very intrigued with uvula's though.  He loved to see them.  He'd ask people who came over if he could see their uvula.  A few people were a little taken aback until I pointed to my own.)  He's constantly asking me if I have a weiner.  For a while he wanted to see my weiner.  Even though I've told him repeatedly I don't have a weiner.  One day he was playing with play doh so my big rolling pin was out.  He was playing with that for a while.  Then he stuck it in his pants, somehow he got it wedged in there so he didn't have to hold it, and said, "Look.  I have a big weiner!"  How do you not laugh at that?

Our hotel at Disneyland had a swimming pool and hot tub.  The last night we took some time to use them.  The swimming pool was freezing cold, so I sat in the hot tub along with a couple of other adults and kids.  Our kids kept coming over to it as well.  Tyler started to get in the hot tub and he said, "Ow!  It burns my weiner!  Mom does it burn your weiner?"  Of course I told him again I don't have one.  Tyler- "I wish I didn't have a weiner."  Me-  "Why not?"  Tyler-  "Then it wouldn't burn my weiner."  I tried to respond quietly and he was about as loud as he could be. 

Earlier that day while walking back to the hotel from Disneyland, Lance's mom tripped and fell.  Later, Mia said it was sad when Grandma fell.  Tyler said, "Why?  She didn't turn into a vampire."

Last week, Tyler was playing with these two lego people.  Do you want to hear their conversation?

 

"I'm a girl.  I don't have a weiner."
"I'm a boy.  I have a weiner." 

For dinner one day, I made grilled cheese sandwiches.  I asked, "Who wants a grilled cheese sandwich?"  Tyler responded, "I want a boy cheese sandwich!"

Before we went on Splash Mountain, we passed out poncho's for those who didn't want to get wet.  Tyler said very firmly, "I don't want a nacho!" 

I went to a friend of mine's baby shower months ago, (the babies are now 5 months old).  When I came back Tyler said, "You're not supposed to take a baby shower.  You're supposed to take a big shower!" 

One day after I dropped the kindergartner off I ventured to Kohl's to find bigger coats for my girls.  I've already lost Tyler there once so I knew it would not be fun.  He has no anxiety when he can't find me.  He just laughs and keeps running.  Anyway, I was looking at coats and he got too far away so I went after him.  He was stopped in front of the lingerie section looking up at two mannequins who had on only bras and panties.  He saw me coming, looked back up at the mannequins and said, "Oh.  Bye ladies," then took off. 

Every night before bed, I read books with the kids.  Instead of picking a book, Tyler took every single book off of the bookshelf. 


At first they were all in a big pile.  He would say, "Cannonball!"  Then jump into the pile like he was jumping into a pool.  Then he started making "snow angels".  When I asked him to make a "snow angel" the next morning so I could take a picture, since the night before I was not amused and more concerned about getting everyone to bed, he said, "No, it's book angels."  And this is what he did.


For a while he was convinced he was getting a jet pack for his birthday.  And not a fake one either.  He wanted a real one he could fly with.  He wanted a jet pack themed birthday too complete with jet pack cake. He hasn't talked too much about that lately.  Hopefully, he's moved on.  I have no idea where to get an affordable jet pack these days.

He made me proud one day though.  We were sitting in the van waiting for the kids and Tyler wanted to listen to some music so he was changing the radio station.  Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana came on.  He stopped and said, "Ohh.  I like this one."  At least he has good taste in music. 

When I told Lance that story, he said he didn't realize I was such a big Nirvana fan.  I can't say I've listened to Nirvana in years, but come on.  I grew up just miles from Seattle, the grunge capital.  How could I not be a fan? 

1 comment:

becky said...

I love this post. It is a little of everything.