May 26, 2012

Memorial Day and more May

Saturday morning, our ward youth were invited to help put up flags at the Veterans Memorial Cemetary.  We met at 7:30 am.  We had three youth show up.  That part was disappointing, but it was a good experience.  It only took, at most, an hour.  (And there were so many donuts, cookies, chocolate milk and juice leftover they were begging people to take them home.  So I did my part and my kids were thrilled.)  There were other groups there before us.  I wasn't sure about going, partly because it was at 7:30 am on a Saturday, but mostly because that's where my dad's buried.  I haven't been back since the funeral.  I've thought about it many times, even planned it, but never been there. Some people may think that's awful, but it's just the hardest place for me to go.  I think about and miss him every day.  I just don't like to be sad more than I have to I guess, so I avoid it. 


It was nice to be up there to see all of the flags though.  They said they had 4,000 flags from last year and bought 900 more.  There was only a few left over.  It really makes you appreciate the sacrifices others have made for us.


Friday was the elementary school dance festival.  It was nice and overcast so we had some umbrellas just in case.  Here in Utah we use our umbrellas for shade more than we do for rain.  We always take them to parades and Brady's football games.  The kids all love to play with them so it's quite amazing nobody has lost an eye.  Anyway, Friday morning in the car on the way to take Brady to school, Tyler was wearing this shirt.  He said, "I'm wearing a green shirt.  I'm ready for Patrick's day!"  The other kids laughed and told him it was already past St. Patrick's day.  Tyler replied just as happily, "Next it's Sponge Bob's day!"


Here's Mia at the dance festival.  She's in the yellow right in the middle of the picture.  The kindergarten did the song "Can't Wait to be King" from The Lion King.  The theme this year was Broadway.


Chloe is sitting down in the brown shirt on the right.  She was clear on the other side during the performance and kept getting hidden behind the other kids so this is probably the best picture I got of her.  I took pictures of Brady, but I couldn't even find him in the picture, so I won't bore you with those.  I videoed it, but I won't post that either.  5th grade did a song from Newsies I think.  I've never seen that movie, so I'm only going by the costumes.


Tyler loves playing Lance's iPhone.  The minute he walks in the door, Tyler's asking to play it.  Colin and Isaac were really enjoying whatever he was playing as well.  Love that pink carpet. 


We got the sprinkler out for the first time a week and a half ago.  It was only about 75 when they were playing in it, but they'd been begging to get it out.  They had a lot of fun.


Isaac, on the other hand was not too happy when he got sprayed.


His awesome big brother helped him feel better by giving him a tennis ball and letting him play with his new racket. 


And when Tyler got thirsty, he got himself a drink.  I keep telling myself he'll grow out of this.  At least I think he will.  I don't know any adults who drink water off of the driveway.


The garbage truck came by too.  That was super exciting. 


Here's a couple more old cell phone pictures.  Last year we left our kids for a night at Lance's sister-in-law while we went to a wedding.  They loved the slip n' slide.


They have a nice little hill that makes it much funner than our flat yard. 


The trampoline was also a hit. 


They did a good job of wearing them out.


They also have a nice little park by their house.  The baby on the left is Tyler.  Isaac's on the right.  Both adorable.  I'm pretty sure Tyler was over a year old.  Isaac's about seven months.  I don't think I'll ever not be amazed at how much hair Isaac has.





1 comment:

Cathy said...

I'm glad you came this morning. One, to see your dad. Two, so I wouldn't be the only one mooching all the extra donuts.